The League of Women Voters, a nonpartisan political organization, encourages informed and active participation of citizens in government, works to increase understanding of major public policy issues, and influences public policy through education and advocacy.
The League of Women Voters was founded by Carrie Chapman Catt in 1920 during the convention of the National American Woman Suffrage Association. The League got its official start in Florida in 1939 and was followed by the establishment of the League of Women Voters of Broward County in 1953.
The League is strictly nonpartisan. It has never supported any candidate for office at any level of government. At the same time, the League is wholeheartedly political and works to influence policy through advocacy.
The League is community-based. We work to improve our government and engage all citizens in the decisions that impact our lives. The League’s enduring vitality and resonance comes from our unique decentralized structure. We are a grassroots organization, working at the local, state and national levels.
The Broward County League of Women Voters has several action teams that work in the community to educate and advocate on issues, including:
- Voting rights and voting registration. Chair: Laura Simon. email@example.com.
- Gun safety. Chair: Bradette Jepsen. firstname.lastname@example.org
- The environment. Chair: Stephanie Pearson. email@example.com
- Women’s health issues and reproductive rights. Chair: Linda Bloomfield. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Juvenile justice. Chair: Julie Morrall. email@example.com
- Education. Chair: Janie Koszoru. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Affordable housing. Chair: Bonnie Gross. email@example.com.
2015-2016 Officers and Directors
Co-Presidents: Joanne Aye and Bonnie Gross (2017-2018)
Vice President: Stephanie Pearson (2016-2018)
Secretary: Elayne Garver (2016-2018)
Treasurer: Gloria Reinhardt (2017-2019)
Nora Ayala (2016-2018)
Jocelyn Carter Miller (2016-2018)
Bradette Jepsen (2017-2019)
Harriet Mathis (2016-2018)
Donna Meyers (2016-2018)
Julie Morrall (2017-2019)
Katy Syed (2017-2019)
Laura Simon (2017-2019)
Scherry Donato, Chair
League of Women Voters of Broward County
P.O. Box 15952
Plantation, FL 33318-5952
League Office Address
5101 NW 21st Avenue, Suite 450
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33309